The next day, I checked it again and it was full of water. I cleaned all the water up again, it was between the port and starboard stringers and the shaftlogs. I noticed that even though I had just cleaned up between the port stringers, there was water there again so I cleaned it up again. I then noticed a thin stream of water winding it's way down from a gap in the fiberglass on the shaft hump. I arranged for the dealer to haul the boat about a week, and lots of bailing, later.
There turned out to be a void along the opposite wall from the leak inside the shaft tunnel. I had a surveyor check for other leaks, but he found none. I then went tapping and found the shaft tunnel on the starboard side of the boat also had a hollow sound. I pointed it out to my dealer who poked it with a knife and went right through into a void. Later, I found another small void in the keel near the bow. These were all repaired and covered under warrenty, eventaully, but I missed the first month (May) of the season.
On April 15, 2003, although this vessel was already on record with Mainship with this problem, Mainship mailed a certified letter to all 350/390 owners saying that they will repair the plateforms at their expense if it is suffering from meaningful water intrusion. The fix includes installing two inspection ports in the top of the swim plateform. This work was completed in November of 2003. This work and photos are detailed here.
Comments can be mailed to the Webmaster at: firstname.lastname@example.org